Miwon: sometimes puts delay on the drums
- Is life an inspiration to make music or is music inspiration to live?
>The best musical ideas are inspired by real life events, and often come to life in the first take. It’s all about keeping your mind fresh and staying relaxed, especially if you need to somehow make a living from what you are doing.<
- What would you do if there wouldn’t be music, starting with tomorrow?
>I would look a proper Charlie.<
- …and what if you had to produce in a different music genre? What would that be?
>that’s quite a surreal vision – some boss coming to my desk saying, “Miwon, I’ll put you in another genre. No buts about it”. Anyway, if the frogs would come and ask me to produce their orchestra, I’d certainly do it!<
- The beauty of silence or the chaos of noises?
>Silence makes us aware of all the noise that echoes in our mind and can also defeat it. It’s a very good remedy. Still, being in the countryside for longer than two weeks can drive me slightly mad.<
- What’s your favourite album ever?
>I don’t have one, but at least alltime favourites. Here are some of them:
Prefab Sprout “Steve McQueen”
Joni Mitchell “Hejira”
My Bloody Valentine “Loveless”
Aphex Twin “Selected Ambient Works 85-92”
A Tribe Called Quest “Midnight Marauders”
The Modernist “Opportunity Knox”<
- …and your favourite album cover?
>Sonic Youth “Daydream Nation”. I also like Beatles “Abbey Road” and the story behind it. (click for larger images)<
- Is there some music you like – but ashamed to admit it?
>Sometimes I have a soft spot for stupid pop songs. But that’s no reason to be ashamed.<
- If you could be a rock star, who would you be?
>David Bowie, “but just for one day”<
- Do you have a role model?
>I used to have some, but I’m too old for that now.<
- Who would you like to meet the most?
- What are your favourite movies?
>Favourite directors: Cronenberg, Lars Von Trier, Gus Van Sant, Hitchcock, Lynch, De Palma, Werner Herzog. I also love 2001, and classical gangster movies – Heat, The Godfather, Donnie Brasco.<
- If you had to direct your own movie, how would it look like?
>The cuts would be rather slow. Story line close to real life, with believable characters. Few effects, applied at the right place. People should walk home with a little smile on their face.<
- Who’s your favourite writer or poet?
>My favourites are always changing. At the moment I like books by Thomas Glavinic.<
- What’s your favourite food?
>Italian, Vietnamese, German home-style cooking<
- Do you prefer cooking or eating?
>I prefer both in a row, together with friends.<
- Name three things you love the most about women.
>open-minded, clever and funny (the same applies to men)<
- …and three things you hate about them.
>priggish, calculating and boring (the same applies to men)<
- Which language would you like to speak most and why?
>Douglas Adams’ image of the Babelfish is one of my favourite utopias – whenever I’m abroad I wish that I could immediately get what people are talking about.<
- How would you describe yourself in 5 words?
>I am a bit shy<
- What are your vices?
>Sometimes I put delay on the drums.<
- What is the most unusual comment anyone has ever made about you?
>”You should become a politician.”<
- What was the nicest thing somebody ever did to you?
>It’s always nice when totally unknown people write me that they enjoy my music.<
- The best moment in your life?
>when my little son came into my life, and I felt that I was ready for him.<
- What does beauty mean to you?
>That’s quite a philosophical question. I have a musical answer: the most beautiful songs are free of disguise. They don’t pretend or emulate anything, just go straight to the heart.<
- What would you do today if the world would end tomorrow?
>The world will either end gradually, or within a few seconds, so I won’t rack my brain.<
- Which places you love the most?
>places by the sea, tropical cloud forests, sunny clearings, the Alps. less spectacular: the countryside north of Berlin, the city itself. And, of course, my home and my studio.<
- Who’s your favourite superhero and why?
>The guy who lives next door – he never complains about the noise from my studio, even when I work on basslines.<
- What’s your favourite flavour?
>Fresh fruit. Chocolate. Cappuccino is also nice.<
- Three things you could never get rid of?
>Food, water, air. Cigarettes?<
- Your three favourite websites?
>kohviradio.com, de-bug.de and some online dailies<
- What’s your most favourite picture you made?
>Last sunday evening the street around the corner looked just phantastic – deep orange sunlight and heavy rain, both hitting the same spot. (click for larger image)<
- What’s your favourite picture about yourself?
- What is the question you always would have liked to be asked but nobody ever did?
- Who won?
Miwon is an electronic music producer and DJ, based in Berlin, Germany. He began djing in 1998 and was soon playing in various venues around the city, including nbi, Hybridlounge, Goldmund and Suncity, most of these places have vanished in the meantime. Since 2000 he plays liveshows, sometimes accompanied by live visuals by Telematique & U-Matic, and puts out records. First stations were the labels hal9000 and Kohvirecords, since 2004 he releases on CCO. So far, there are several EPs and two Miwon albums – Pale Glitter and A To B.
In addition to his solo project he plays with the electroacoustic trio Cushion Caroms and is a longterm member of FeedBackOrchester. Apart from his musical projects he’s active in the field of professional sound design and writes for magazines, e.g. de:bug, Groove and Stylemag (taken from Miwon’s website).
Of course you can find him at the ‘usual’ places as well like MySpace, Virb and of course last.fmwhere you can check out some of his tunes as well . And let’s not forget that you can become a fan of him on Facebook.