Erik Wøllo: a curious hard working man
- Is life an inspiration to make music or is music inspiration to live?
>Both of course. But where there is no life, there is no music. And in life, music can be a blessing for everyone.<
- What would you do if there wouldn’t be music, starting with tomorrow?
>Make a painting. Trying to make a good “sounding” picture!<
- …and what if you had to produce in a different music genre? What would that be?
>The most heavy metal music you can imagine.<
- The beauty of silence or the chaos of noises?
>I like the sound of silence.<
- What’s your favourite album ever?
>Animals by a certain english supergroup.. At least this album was very important to me when I was a kid,and actually it was the first album I bought myself. I kind of grew up with this music.<
- …and your favourite album cover?
>I have many favourites, some of them made by Hipgnosis in the seventies. And of course my latest album, Gateway. Designed by Michal Karcz.<
- Is there some music you like – but ashamed to admit it?
>I like good country music, but I am NOT ashamed to admit it. I like the original old western style, with banjos and accordeons and such. A lot of incredible musicians in this old genre.<
- If you could be a rock star, who would you be?
- Do you have a role model?
>I do not have any special role models. But I get inspired by people who stick with their goal, no matter what.<
- Who would you like to meet the most?
- What are your favourite movies?
>”Once upon a time in the west” by Sergio Leone. I am a huge fan of old western movies from the 50ties and 60ties, and I have a big collection of DVDs. This is an art film, where the whole history of the old american west is described. When the railroad and the new era came and everything was changed. I am very interested in the history of USA, and I am very fascinated by the creation of this nation that has been so important, and still is to the world.<
- If you had to direct your own movie, how would it look like?
>A mixture of Clint Eastwood’s work and the work of russian Andrei Tarkovsky, with some sci- fi elements. Very slow and meditative, but with some crescendos. Dark, abstract and very little use of dialogues. With a mesmerizing soundtrack of course.<
- What’s your favourite food?
>I love Indian food. …A couple of years ago I had Buffalo steak, that was fantastic!<
- Is there a band/music genre you can’t stand listening to?
>I am not so fond of German disco…<
- What’s your (original) profession?
>I have not worked with anything else than music in my entire life.<
- What’s your next plan music-wise?
>My new album “Gateway” will be released this June!<
- Which language would you like to speak most and why?
>French, perhaps. I like to be in the southern eras of France, and they speak very little english down there.<
- How would you describe yourself in 5 words?
>A curious hard working man.<
- What are your vices?
>All these late nights…<
- What is the most unusual comment anyone has ever made about you?
>You look like Eric Clapton!<
- The best moment in your life?
>Becoming a father.<
- What does beauty mean to you?
>Beauty is in art, nature and in human life. Different ways to look at beauty, but I think the beauty is not always concrete or on the surface, but underneath the surface. Beauty is the positive uplifting force that gives inspiration to create.<
- What would you do today if the world would end tomorrow?
>Make new sounds. And make a lot of phone calls.<
- Which places you love the most?
>Places that are untouched by man.<
- Who’s your favourite superhero and why?
>My superhero has no name. It is a person that try to do his best everyday. And that has no interest in showing this on TV.<
- What’s your favourite flavour?
- Three things you could never get rid of?
>Three of my best guitars.<
- Your three favourite websites?
>ebay.com, electronicmusician.com and imdb.com<
- What is the question you always would have liked to be asked but nobody ever did?
>Astronomy or astrology? Which one of these are you most interested in, and why?<
- Astronomy or astrology? Which one of these are you most interested in, and why?
>In pre-modern times, most cultures have not made a clear distinction between these two disciplines. Astrology and astronomy were indistinguishable for a very long time. Today these are separated, perhaps that is a shame. But I am basically most interested in Astronomy. A lot of bullshit has been going on in the astrology discipline.<
Erik Wøllo was born in Hemsedal, Norway (1961), and he has been a professional artist since 1980. His musical experience covers a wide range of styles from rock and jazz, to experimental electronic and classical music. But he is most known for his unique and personal electronic ambient music. He has been composing and performing music for films, theater, ballets and exhibitions. As well as composing for strings, woodwinds and larger orchestras. As a guitarist he has been leading his own groups, playing at clubs, concert halls and festivals in Europe , the USA and Canada.
During the last decades, he has produced solo albums at his own “Wintergarden Studio”. His music has been released on CD worldwide since 1985. His music has been very well received, and he has found himself a large audience with many listeners all over the world. He creates music that is both lyrical and rhythmical with emphasizing melodic and structural formations. With his diverse musical background, he successfully integrates elements of pop, rock and classical, as well as ethnic and electronic ambient music styles. He is a highly respected guitarist, and this synthesis shows on his albums as he mixes of technology sounds with the acoustics gathered from the environment. His music reflects the musical currents of our time while offering the listener a highly original and exciting sonic experience.
Member of NOPA and Norwegian Society of Composers (NSC).
Until his new album comes out in June, enjoy his latest collaboration with Steve Roach, Stream of Thought. And feel free to check out his webpage where you can find some free music to listen and don’t forget about his last.fm page either.